Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Coordinates and wind speed

To find out the average wind speed for my site I followed Mark Brinkley's advice and went to the DTI site, they directed me off to streetmap.co.uk where I got my various values:



then you follow the instrctions on the dti page (you have to read the small print) and they then gave me this:



A bit more reading and it seems Porty is pretty average for the UK - i.e. bad. An average wind speed of 5m/s at 10m about ground level. According to Nathan Briggs, a consultant to windsave who produce domestic wind turbines, in a comment from Mark Brinley's blog:

Firstly I'm glad we didn't try to fit a windmill and I hope you see the sense that we didn't. With just 5.1m/s I doubt you would have seen anything close to 1000kWh per annum so payback would have been terrible anyway.

The Green Building Forum offers some definitive advice on the subject, which in summary is its not worth it unless you are in a windy site, and even then don't believe the hype.

No comments: